Since the 18th century, a ground-floor building housing the administrative affairs of the community has stood on the site of the current town hall in Marcali. In its immediate vicinity, the new village hall was built around 1900 and extended in 1914. In 1942 the council of the settlement entrusted László Csomós with designing a new building. The construction was completed by the master builder István Csényi from Fonyód in the middle of 1943. The artificial stone stairs, the balcony ornaments and the still visible coat of arms of the village were carved by Imre Borovitz, a master stone sculptor from Kaposvár. The woodwork was entrusted to István Domsa, a master carpenter from Marcali.
The electrical and wrought iron work was done by local master locksmith Béla Hikman. The building was home to the Village Council from 1950, to the Town Council from 1977 and it has been home to the Municipal Town Council of Marcali since 1990. On the neighboring southern plot there was a manor house in 1802, in which the respective surgeon lived. At the end of the 19th century, gingerbread baker János Csollán became its owner. On the site of the Csollán confectionary – by retaining the cellar – the two-story building of the District Council was built. In 1977, Marcali became a town. Over the past decades, office premises have been continuously expanded.
1.| Picture of the earliest village hall (on the left) and the newer office building built around 1900 (Ink-drawing of László Csomós, 1959)
2.| Picture of the village hall built in 1943 (Postcard detail, 1958)
3.| Building of the District Council (Resource: fortepan.hu, 1968.)
4.| Picture of the Town Hall in Marcali (Photo: József Ilácsa, 2021.)
5.|Building of the Council in Marcali (Photo: László Csomós, 1974.)