Ma 2017. October 24., Tuesday, Salamon napja van. Holnap Blanka és Bianka napja lesz.

Forgach family...

forgach3

The Counts Forgách in Gomba(1812-1945) The Family of the counts  Forgács  de Ghymes and Gács  owned properties in the North of Hungary  and  were descendents of a knight named Hont from the time of King Stephen I. of Hungary. Since 1226 their ancestral seat had been the Ghymes castle (today JelenicSlovakia) The family had properties also in Gács, Mándok, Kassa, Csejte, Szécse. The Forgách family played an important role in the history ofHungary, some of its representatives holding high offices and important positions. Among them were chief magistrates, bishops, generals but also famous hunters and travellers. A branch of the family settled  in Marcali in 1812 and had two castles built in the Gomba area of the town. During the following decades they expanded their properties in the Marcali region, set up a homestead  and built a fine wine cellar in the vineyard. Forgách IV. Károly (1840-1900) and his wife Eugenia Migazzi (18..-1922) were generous promoters of the Church. The last count Károly V. (1880-1947) and his wife baroness Margit Révay (1883-1954) had a beautiful villa built in Balatonfenyves. They  spent most of their time in Ghymes but what they liked best was their vineyard in Badacsonytomaj.



forgach9

Renaissance gravestone from 1515

The gravestone of Gergely Forgách (?-1514) deputy magistrate ofNitra (nowSlovakia)  was brought from the monasterychurch ofHorné Lefantovce (nowSlovakia)  by Forgách IV. Károly to Gomba  in 1894.   The gravestone was installed in the garden of the castle. After the nationalization of the property in 1951, the gravestone was severely damaged. Pieces of it were later found by the art historian  Miklós Horler in the basement of a house in 1978. It was restored inSopron in 2002.

The gravestone was originally made of red marble in 1515 by a famous representative of the Hungarian renaissance, the stone carver Ioannes Fiorentinus. Other masterpieces of the artist:  the coat of arms of the Bakócz chapel in Esztergom, the gravestone of the archbishop Jan Łaski fromGniezno(Poland) and the baptizing chapel in Mineu (Romania).








  • Forgch napi esemnyek  20150515_0231
  • forgach1
  • forgach2
  • forgach3


Download brochure 

Aktuális időszaki kiállítások

A hónap műtárgya

Marcali Múzeumi Katedra